Tuesday, May 17, 2005

And So It Goes

So, the school year's over. Graduation's this coming Sunday. Everyone says it, and it's still true: it all went waaay faster than I ever thought it would. I was talking to a friend earlier this week, saying that I just wanted to tell someone to hold up, just give me a week or something. It hits you, in funny ways, that time really doesn't stop for anything. At times like this, it pretty much scares me. Last night, my friend Dave invited a bunch of his friends out to dinner with his parents - quite possibly the nicest people ever. So polite. So friendly. Anyway, we were all out, and we hadn't been out in a group for such a long time. I kept thinking about how stupid I was not to have a camera to record it all, because we all kept laughing about all these ridiculous memories we had stored up over the past few years. We were all clicking, and everyone fit, and I couldn't help it, but I kept wondering how I got so lucky - and whether I would get this lucky again. I don't know.

I don't really think it's worth writing all this stuff down, all the stupid memories that a few of us find funny. But I do think it's important to acknowledge the type of relationship we all have. I haven't seen some of these people in a few months, and still, it's like home when we're all there. If I could wish anything for anyone, it's to have that feeling.

So I think that's what gets me upset about graduation, or really any change at all. It isn't really fear of moving on, it's more like sadness at having to let go. It's not fair, I don't think, to meet these people and have them around and get to know and trust and love them, and then they start to leave, one by one. It's not right.

Someday, I'm making a law that says that if I want it, you have to stay right where you are. Time can't affect everything in my perfect world. Some things really would remain the same, if I had a say in all of this.