Sunday, April 03, 2005

Time For Spring

This hasn't been like every other year. Had this been any other year, on October 28, the countdown would have begun. I would have been trying to get over the Sox breaking my heart (think 2003) and anticipating them repairing it, beginning in early April. From October to April, I would wait and wait and wait, and check the websites and read up on everything and analyze what went wrong and try to decide what has to go right next time. I would do this painstakingly like a total freak until Opening Day, and then, like some sick addict, I would get my fix. All the way through October.

Last year, though, I got lucky. The Sox, they did it. And on October 28, I wasn't thinking about what ifs and if onlys. Instead, I was in lines to get World Champions t-shirts and hats and sweatshirts and shorts and whatever else they had that screamed the news. I vaguely remember going to some Outback restaurant and walking around in a complete stupor. I probably scared half the patrons, but when I think back, it's doubtful: I think everyone else was also wearing Red Sox shirts, also going around like this was paradise, also smiling at every single person that walked by, also just in complete catatonic shock. But maybe that's just me, I don't know.

My point is, I didn't have the same sense of urgency that I had last year. No Red Sox fan did. The urgency? That went to Yankees fans. We got to have the parade and the shirts and the tv shows. They got... A-Rod, and a steroids scandal. I'm telling you, this whole thing has renewed my faith in some higher power.

I know, I know, I'm sick.

(By the way, I am watching "Boy Meets World" on ABC Family (great channel, fyi) and the mom's pants are hiked up waaaaay past any place of common decency. These things always kill me. Oh, and! I just changed the channel and got the MTV repeat of "The Inferno," right at the part where Jon is about make the holy sacrifice at the inferno challenge and Julie gets to cry and wail on camera. "Just as Jesus sacrificed himself for all of us, maybe this is a chance for me to do that for my team. The inferno could be like the hell, and then I could, you know, step up and take the place of somebody like Christ did for us on the Cross." An actual quote from Jon, a.k.a. Jesus of Reality Television. This day is shaping right up. Here is a get from Jules: "They [her teammates] let him go. The world needs more Jons in the world, needs more people that are willing to save other people in their own way. ... They don't even understand the symbolism in all of this." Earth to Julie?? Nobody does. Except you. Where's a warning buzzer when you need one?)

But back to the Sox.

There are few things I enjoy more than the Red Sox, and everyone knows this. It's so bad that I've made requests that when I die someday, the only thing I want people to say is "She liked the Red Sox," and I want people to just leave it like that. I mean, there IS more to me than liking the Red Sox. At least, I hope so. But regardless of my issues trying to put the Sox in perspective, today's a big day. It's time to move on.

I wrote back in January about saying goodbye to THIS year, having to get past the fact that it will have to be "The Sox won LAST year" rather than "THIS" year, but I think I still got to hang onto it ...

(Wait, here's another Inferno goodie: "I'd rather look like a slut, I'd rather look like a whore, than a liar. Call me a whore, call me a slut, don't call me a liar." That's Tonya. And my father wonders how I can watch shows like this. Tonya just threw all of Beth's stuff in the pool. She literally dumped all of her suitcases into the water. You can't write this stuff. And, my favorite part? Tonya's from Walla Walla, Washington. She's like a human caricature!)

... until today. (Yeah, sorry, random thought in there.) Okay, I'm going to get serious now. Tonight, the Sox are no longer the current World Champions. So I'm a little sad about the 2004 season officially being last season. I've got to admit that. But then I think about the new season, and the opportunities about to be there, about every night having a baseball game to watch and going to Fenway Park and having it be summer, and you know what? I realize that even though I haven't been counting down the day anxiously to help get over the heartbreaking end of the season like every other year, I've still been looking forward to tonight anyway.

(Sorry, one more: Mike, the Miz: "Is that a real Louis Vuitton bag?" to Beth, who's fishing her stuff out of the pool. Then, the whole cast is taking pictures. Then the Miz says to the camera, "This is like, I'm a psycho. This is amazing. This is the coolest challenge ever, and I love the Inferno Part Two." Good god, this is amazing television.)

So in about six hours, it'll be time to move on (in some ways, we'll never move on, I know) and begin THIS year. I can't freakin wait. It's time. Let's do it all over again.