Friday, February 09, 2007

Quick Thoughts...

Quick thoughts I've been having over the past week or so:

First of all, when all of the sidewalk is frozen over, is it too much to ask for stores to shovel outside the front door or put down some salt? Is it really asking too much not to want to break my neck when I go get my morning coffee and it's almost pitch black out? I don't think so. I really don't. Instead of all those stupid ads that say all the specials they're offering, maybe stores should just offer the basics, like a non-black ice covered walkway. I'd much rather see an ad campaign focused on things like that than people hitting their alarm clocks and running late but having their days saved by Dunkin Donuts. Let me tell you, right now, nobody's running on Dunkin. Everyone's walking very gingerly so they don't kill themselves.

In other news, everyone knows I love People magazine, but even I had to stop and question them a few days ago. I was reading the webpage and one of the stories is "Astronaut now called a Homewrecker." This made me laugh because they are talking about the woman who drove across the country to confront the woman she thought was hooking up with her guy. She's currently facing kidnapping and attempted murder charges, which is why I thought this headline was so ridiculous. It's really two-fold: first of all, compared to "kidnapper" and "attempted murderer," isn't "homewrecker" seeming rather harmless to you? And also, isn't kidnapping and trying to murder a mother in and of itself homewrecking? Just wondering. These are things I think about.

Also, I thought I was going blind recently. My left eye would get blurry and it was getting worse, so I was getting worried about it. I was going to make an appointment, but I kept putting it off because I was scared of getting the news that I was going blind. I went through different possibilties, like something might be wrong with my contact. But the thing was, I was also nervous that I might have some awful disease in my eye that was causing me to go blind, so I didn't want to change up my contacts if I was going to go to the doctor in a little bit anyways, because then I'd waste a contact that was now contaminated. It was really a conundrum made worse by my avoidance and general craziness. Finally, today, I'd had enough, so I took out my contact and even though I'm generally decently blind without my contacts in, I could tell almost immediately it wasn't that same blurry/haziness that was when I had the contact in. So then I went to put in a new contact, and I realized... I had put a second right contact lens into my left eye instead of a left lens a few weeks ago. All this time, I'd been walking around with two right lenses. I felt like a complete moron, but honestly, I was pretty relieved too. And now I'm also not taking clear vision for granted. It makes such a difference. I bet my dad is freaking out if he's reading this, thinking about how his daughter has most of her life together but then she does stuff like this that makes him wonder what's wrong with me. Well, Dad, I wonder the same thing sometimes.