Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Yes, these things just come to me

I was sitting in the GSU today reading the newspaper when it occurred to me that it was a perfect moment for a musical number.

In musicals, nobody questions anything when people are sitting around talking and suddenly the lead actors end their sentences in song, get up and start dancing around while the rest of the place stops what they're doing to watch, sing, and join in.

Of course, that doesn't happen in reality.

But I was thinking... what if it did? What if musical numbers actually happened in the GSU? In the dorms? In life?

Like for instance, me recounting my studying madness to my friend in the GSU. I think that would have been a good moment for everyone else in the GSU to stop eating, look up, and then start talking - silently, of course so that the main vocals could be heard - about their own study habits. I picture somebody pointing to a book and then making a sign like he has a major headache from all of it. I even thought of the song, sung to the tune of "Summer Lovin'" in Grease:

Last night after midnight had passed
I was afraid Rossell'd kick my ass
I'd studied so long
To avoid answering wrong
Then I went into the test, hoped for the best
Studying... don't mean a thing
Unless you pass the class

(dadadaa dadadaa)

Tell me more Tell me more
Did you answer okay?
Tell me more Tell me more
Did this earn you an A?

(Shooda bop bop Shooda bop bop Shooda bop bop yeahhh)

The whole place would get into it. People would be dancing down the center aisle, with the trays bopping up and down. Those little Chinese people who take your trays away could come around and do a tap dance number. Allison, the lady who repeats your order at the register, could do a running split down the center aisle, like it was a Slip n Slide. This is such a good idea. I'm starting to think that my talents as a song writer might become overshadowed my choreographing abilities. They just might.

Onto scene 2:
The second scenario I thought of is while waiting in line at Warren Towers for a burrito. (Sung to the tune of "Ten Minutes Ago," from "Cinderella.")

Ten minutes ago I got here
Saw the burrito line right from door
My head starting reeling
It gave me a feeling
My wait'd be 10 minutes or more
Ten minutes ago I stood here
Until it was time to go
To get my burrito
Oh man was it sweeto
The wait was so worth it I know!

The dance choreography in this one would have to be based on a line dance, because, after all, it's about being in line. So at first everyone would be real sad to be in line, and then all of a sudden, someone would start singing and then they'd get a can-can line going with Denise and J.J., the Burrito Mavens, at the ends of them. And then Bob, the Dining Hall manager, could come over and breakdance in the middle of it all.

Gennnnius!

You'd think my ideas would be met with some enthusiasm, but no. It got me thinking about what Rogers had to go through before he met Hammerstein. It could be what Hammerstein had to go through before he met Rogers. Either way, my guess is that Rogers' friends probably were a little more supportive, because otherwise, he would have crawled into a hole and died rather than penning any great musicals, like "Sound of Music." I can only think of "Sound of Music," but that one doesn't really count because it is based on a true story. The only thing is, I wonder whether the real Maria was also a singer. I wondered this to my mom on the phone once and she got really adamant that Maria had been a singer because they were, after all, the Vonn Trapp singers. So I'm not sure ol Rog and Ham get any credit. I wonder if anybody takes offense to me calling them Rog and Ham. Hold on, I have to do some research about Rogers and Hammerstein before I can talk about them again. I take this seriously.

Okay, so here's the deal. I went to the website for the Rodgers and Hammerstein Organization. Turns out, I'd been spelling the poor guy's name wrong the whole time. Anyhow, Rodgers and Hammerstein had careers before getting together which kinda tanked. Only not at all, they were very successful, but the story is better if I pretend they tanked. So anyhow they got together and made lots of musicals and then Hammy died and Rodg went on to make some more musicals that didn't do well at all. Again, a lie. They did fine. Then he died. So that's their story. Wouldn't it be better if they had sucked separately, been thrown out of show business, met up, been rejected like a zillion times and started their own small company that made plays based on comedy and music and then they owned everyone when they became really big? Like grassroots?

Well, it didn't happen that way.

But anyhow, the two had some success. And I'm just making a guess that somewhere, at some point, maybe while all the other kids were playing baseball and Rodg was writing parts for Julie Andrews, things weren't going quite so well and he had to stick to his gut feeling that this was all going to be worth it someday.

I gotta cling to something.