Wednesday, July 21, 2004

21 on 21

When I was about five, my favorite thing to eat was a jelly sandwich. I didn't really like peanut butter, so I ate grape jelly on wheat bread. My neighbors always got the Wonderbread white bread, and I would ask my mom to buy white bread. She wasn't really into the whole white bread thing, so we always had wheat. When I got older and decided peanut butter was pretty good, I would love going to my neighbor's house where she had peanut butter and jelly on Wonderbread white bread. Her mom also made the best grilled cheese sandwich ever. Sometimes if we were really good, she'd make us some grilled cheese sandwiches. Once we had ice cream that we didn't like and we tried to turn the ice cream into cookie dough. Yeah, my friend and I were really smart. We thought if we added everything her mom had on the kitchen table tray, we'd turn ice cream into cookie dough. So we added sugar, cream, salt, and pepper and we stirred it and stirred it, but no cookie dough. Her mom came in and wasn't too happy to see us messing around with all of her stuff on the table, but she was pretty sweet about the whole thing. When I was younger I used to think that she had made us eat the concotion, but I don't think that anymore.

I forget who asked this question, or who brought it up or whatever, but I've been thinking a little bit about it. How come when you blow in a dog's face, he turns around, but when the dog's in a car, he sticks his head out the window? I don't know. What's bothering me more is that I can't remember who asked me about this.

That's another thing. I hate when I can't remember something. Yesterday I was pretty tired and I couldn't remember anything to save my life. Like, it actually kind of hurt my head to think about what I was trying to remember. It was like everything was a very thick fog. I think I know some people who are like this all the time, and I feel pretty sorry for them. It's not a good state to be in.

Speaking of states, did you know that Massachusetts is not a state but a Commonwealth? You can't say, "The State of Massachusetts." You have to say "The Commonwealth." There's some trivia for you, if you ever feel like being really annoying.

Also, I have to mention that last night, I was talking to this kid who told me that Connecticut licenses are never taken at any bars. That has made me pretty nervous because how much would it suck if they were like, "Yeah, how about not" when I tried to go out? Seriously. Knowing my luck, it will happen! I talked to another friend who told me to shut up, that it would be fine, so hopefully he is right. God that would suck. I hate Connecticut. I really do.

Nah, I don't.

Maybe.

I'm a little conflicted about the whole thing to tell you the truth.

I have to talk about my friend Amanda for a few minutes. I'd already written a whole paragraph but then I deleted it. You might not realize this, but this thing goes through a draft or two (as I go) before you see the final product. Yikes!

So anyhow, Amanda and I are known for our barnyard fights. She's usually the cow and I'm usually the pig. They're known to just pop up randomly, usually when one of us is either a. stressed, 2. bored, or c. in a bad mood. Sometimes when we're hungry. I don't know why we do this, but we always have the fights for at least three minutes. What we do is, we IM each other starting off like this: oink. Or if she goes, she might write, "moo." Then it escalates, to see which person can outdo the other using AIM fonts, colors, bold, italic, underline, smileys, etc. (By the way, I don't think the "etc" really works there because that list was pretty much all that we have to work with. But whatever.) So anyhow, we'll get to things like: "MOOOOOOOOOOO" and I have to say, she always has a little advantage because you can do that with the "o" at the end and just have an unending "moooooo" but "oink" is harder because "oinkkkkkkkkkk" never really has the same effect.

It's an interesting process. I don't think I would recommend it though. You have to be pretty out of your mind to think it's a fun way to pass time.

Oh, my friend Elizabeth/Gizzabeth/Gizzer/Liz and Amanda and I also play the "Cool Game" when we are trying to procrastinate. This is a great game, and I do suggest that you play when you get the chance. We go into my room, and my window faces Comm Ave. So we sit there, and we watch the people walking around and if we see somebody we know, we get a point. You have to really know the person though, like by name. You can't be like, "oh, that girl's in my class!" because just knowing someone in your class doesn't make you cool. Having lots of friends or people you know does, however, and so that's how it works: the person who knows the most people is therefore the coolest and thus wins the game. There are several rules that you have to take into consideration: you can challenge someone. If I see somebody walking down the street and claim him/her as someone I know, you can challenge me. I have to tell you how I know the person. We really don't lie about it though, because we're honest people. But you can earn extra points by shouting out the person's name. If you shout the person's name and the person looks around, that's a point. If you shout the person's name and the person looks up and you get a wave, you basically are the coolest person automatically. If you shout out and they give you the finger, you lose a point. We always kind of change the point system, but the general rules remain the same. You can also call a person and have them wave to you. That earns you a point as well.

We've played the game many times, and once we played it where we saw our friend Dave. Dave was walking on the opposite side of the street and we yelled out "DAVE!" really loud. All three of us. It was pretty obnoxious, I have to admit. So we were screaming his name and he looked up at us, but he refused to wave. Dave hates to wave. He really hates to say hi too. I bet he'll get annoyed seeing that I wrote that, but he knows I think that's true. I'll be like three feet away from the kid and he refuses to wave. Once, when we were just hanging out, I asked him to wave, just to see if he knew how. He refused. He really hates it.

One time, Seth, Dave, Liz and I decided we were going to make a Monopoly game from scratch so we could play Monopoly. We got about as far as making the squares on the board before we remembered that we would have to make money, Chance cards, Community Chest cards, houses, and dice. What were we thinking?

I need a good theme for my floor this year at Warren. Let me know if you know any. Winner gets absolutely nothing. Let's face it. The thrill of knowing you won is basically nothing.

Still though, spend time trying to help me.

You know what kills me? This guy at Fenway, he's an Aramark guy who goes around and sweeps the ground (haha rhyme). Anyhow, what he'll do is, he'll point to the ground like there's something there that you should either pick up or watch out for, and he gets people to look. It is the most hysterical thing ever. Ever. He'll nod at someone, get their attention, and then point down to the ground. The person will look down, then back up at the guy like, "what am I missing?" and then the guy will point again at the same spot. The routine continues. The guy will point to his shoe. He'll have people turn around. Look up, look down, look left, look down again. It's hysterical, because these people can't figure out what's wrong with them. I have to tell them every time, after he just walks away - and he never says a word, it's all just silent/miming - "He's just messing with you." And then they still don't believe me. It has to be the greatest trick played.

Okay, maybe not.

I just went back and reread that whole bread dilemma. It was pretty boring to tell you the truth.

I'm kind of undecided about how I feel about an aspect of AIM. I'm a real believer in not analyzing AIM conversations or having real serious conversations online. Not that I really follow either rule, but I think they're gooe ones nonetheless. Anyhow, I always tell people that you can't take AIM personally. It's a computer. One person asked me, "What if you're talking to someone, and they're like, 'I gotta go' and then they say goodbye, but they don't sign off or put up an away message? Is that bad?" I have to say my answer right now is "Not always, but that does suck." Here's my reasoning:

I have done this before, and it's not always because I don't want to talk to the person I say goodbye to. It's probably because some other loser I'm talking to won't shut up and say goodbye, or I'm just finalizing some plans with someone. Point is, I think you need to give people a five minute grace period. If someone says they have to go and they sign off within five minutes, don't take it personally.

After five minutes, I think it's a little harder. You can't always assume the worst though. Sometimes I'm just about ready to sign off or put up an away message, and someone I haven't spoken to in a long time will IM me, or someone will ask me a question, etc. You get the idea. So it might be that. Maybe I'm having a really serious conversation, breaking one of the rules, and so I can't talk to five people at once and give the serious conversation my undivided attention. (Which is why you should never have serious conversations online in the first place - you're there telling your friend all this serious stuff, and she might be talking to ten other people about "The Real World" or something trivial like that.)

Unfortunately, if the person stays online for a very long time, and if the person does this repeatedly, I just don't think it's a good thing. I'm of the belief that if someone really likes you - as a friend or more - they will want to talk to you/spend as much time with you as possible. That doesn't mean 24/7 or every time they go online, but it should be more often than not that they want to continue a conversation until they really do have to get going, you know?

And this, by the way, this entire part of the entry, is why you should never take AIM too seriously. You sound moronic! Look at how much crap I just injected into a single AIM experience. It's really sick.

Okay, does anybody else have a problem with the realistic aspect of "Full House"? I mean, come on, how many people can you stuff into a single house? I don't care how many staircases they build, at the end of the day, it's just one house. Really. Becky should have just told Uncle Jesse that he needs to grow up and stop crying so that they don't have to live in AN ATTIC. Really. They live in like a one-room apartment. Where does Joey even live? Did he live in the basement? I thought so for a while, but I think they turned it into a studio. DJ definitely moved into Jesse's room when he left. This is really going to bother me if I can't remember where they stuffed Joey. Wow, this really is bothering me. I took about a three minute break between those two sentences, and still nothing. Where did Joey live??

Do you remember the song, "There was an old lady who swallowed a fly, I don't know why she swallowed a fly, perhaps she'll die"? Were there any more verses to that song? I can't think of any. I guess you could say, "There was an old lady who swallowed a horse I don't know why she swallowed a horse, she'll die of course" but I don't think that's a good lyric at all.

Do you now see what I'm talking about with my memory issues?

There have been a lot of questions in this entry. I must be very inquisitive today.