Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Thoughts (and No) Comments of the Day

I'm watching the Sox game, and I've been noticing this thing recently. There's this random girl between the TV commentators, who just sits there and never says anything or reacts to what they're saying. The two commentators basically talk over her. My question: why don't they put her on the other side of one of the guys? What's with this monkey-in-the-middle business? She looks ridiculous! I wonder what her purpose is. Don't the announcers feel bad having to talk right over her, as though she's not there? I want to know if in between the camera shots, the guys even talk to this girl like, "Sorry we have to talk over you like you don't exist." I bet not though. If they did, they'd probably find a way to switch chairs with her. (Seriously, why don't these people think of this?!)

Also, I'm now hearing about one of the announcer's tooth problems.

Speaking of problems, I'm a little upset about Manny. The thing is, I like Manny. I just wish he liked Boston. It's like you're in a relationship with the perfect guy, except he's just not into you. That's Manny with the Red Sox. He's perfect, except he doesn't like it here. It makes me pretty sad, to be honest. People used to ask me how I could like Brian Daubach so much, and while I used to defend his stats (i've given that up), I really liked him because of his attitude: he absolutely loved Boston and playing here. When he went to Chicago, he wasn't even psyched to get the big game-winning hits against the Sox. He talked about how it was bittersweet and he really misses his friends. Totally depressed me for like a week, and made me like him even more. I feel the same way about Millar. Say what you will about his stats, but here's a guy who clearly loves being here. I feel like that should be rewarded and appreciated, that's all.

But I'll tell you, that's as far as I'm going to go about Manny: I'm sad that he's unhappy. I'm not going to say anything about what I think about Manny's request to be traded. I'm not going to say anything about his supposed unhappiness in Boston, a town that has shown the man unconditional love and acceptance. I'm not going to touch the issue of his supposed distaste for the lack of privacy that he gets in Boston. And I'm definitely not going to comment on his recent Boston Globe photo shoot of his son's room in their private home, nor will I discuss his wife and son's picture on the cover of Boston magazine a few months ago. I'll tell you what I'm definitely, definitely not going to say anything about: his supposed refusal to play in today's game, even after his manager asked him to, with a day off tomorrow, because their lineup is a little shaky with Nixon now injured. And I won't comment on the fact that the manager granted the request, nor will I comment on the fact that his teammates, manager, and front office back him up - without question - to the public.

(For the record, I also am not going to finish that thought up there about the commentator's tooth issues, nor am I going to give my personal reaction to the picture of its infection.)

I will comment on what I was watching while tracking this game. I was watching "Beverly Hills 90210" which could rank, in my opinion, as the best soap opera show ever. For ten years, they had unbelievable story lines. They got me every time. Just when I thought Kelly Snotslide (you've gotta SEE that thing) Taylor had had enough, they thought up another crisis for the girl: date rape, drugged, burned almost to death in a fire, brainwashed by a cult, cocaine addict, raped at gun point, shot on the way home from Hawaii, human rights activist. A cat has fewer lives than Kelly Taylor. Hell, Cher has had fewer comebacks than Kelly Taylor. Michael Jackson has had fewer sleepovers with little boys than Kelly Taylor. Nicole Richie has fewer people who know her better than anyone else than Kelly Taylor. (Okay, okay, I'm stopping.) Anyhow, I was lucky enough to catch one of the episodes where Kelly is in the brainwashing cult. This is amazing, amazing television. They have this smarmy guy who is definition skeevy telling her to get rid of her boyfriend (Brandon Walsh, never been better as the concerned Boy Scout boyfriend slash fashion victim wearing a jacket even 50 cent would think is too puffy). You know what always gets me when I watch this show? These people are supposed to be younger than I am! I can't ever get over that. Kelly Taylor and friends always seemed so old to me, no matter how old I was. Even now, when I watch the gang running the most successful nightclub in town, I think, "Huh, hard to believe they're only 20 years old." Then again, it might be because every cast member was about 100 when they were filming the show. I think Ian Ziering was something like 26 when he "graduated high school." What a show.

Anyhow, what I love about 90210 is that I know every episode, and I know the entire series, so when I sit down and watch an episode, I know all this background information. Like I know how Kelly ended up in the brainwashing cult (fire therapy) and I know that she will eventually blow off the cult, become the drug addict, get shot, and end up happily ever after being a PR girl for her best friend Donna's designer clothing company (The only thing I can think of that had more lives than Kelly Taylor is Tori Spelling's nose. Maybe her hair, too.). Anyway, this always makes me laugh. And it makes me a little embarrassed to be so enthralled with this show, but mostly, it makes me laugh. Aaron Spelling is a freaking genius, even if he did contribute to making... Tori.

l will also continue to comment on this ridiculous heat. I don't care how tired anybody gets of me mentioning how hot it is. Today, I was walking to work and some loser in a car blocked the street so I had to wait for him to pull out into traffic to cross the street. Thanks a lot, moron. In the battle between the air conditioned car and the oppressive outdoors, I should win. He should freaking roll out a red carpet for me to cross the street. This got me so angry that I started to get even hotter, which made me even angrier. It's one of the most vicious cycles known to man, I'm telling you. They say that there are more violent crimes committed during the summer. My psychology teacher used to use this as an example for what you can say is cause and effect and what you can't, and how you can't say everything is correlated. She'd be like, "So you can't say that eating more ice cream causes you to be more violent, just because people happen to eat more ice cream in the summer and more violent crimes happen in the summer." I could probably be committed for writing where I'm going with this, but I think it's pretty clear. Ms. Wells might have been onto something with that ice cream example, but I don't doubt the validity of that statistic. At all.

My last comment of the day is about, per usual, morons. I was in the ATM vesitbule, my one place of joy and happiness in this oppressively hot world, and I was leisurely getting my money and waiting for a minute before venturing out to die. Here's what happens: I feel the heat come in as someone opens the door, and then I wait for it to disappear, and I wait and wait... and then I hear, "Jen! Hurry up! Cross the street already!"

Yeah. I turn around, and this moron is standing there with the door wide open, ruining the air conditioning. If there were a cop around, I would have asked for her to be arrested.

I think that's a joke.

Honestly though, I'm not sure.