Sunday, July 31, 2005

Addendum

An interesting counterpoint to my argument for Manny: although people do experience unhappiness at jobs, they don't go up to their boss and tell the big guy, "Hey, I'm unhappy. Can you send a good reference to this other company?" So does his unhappiness go pretty far, to ask someone to trade him? Yeah, I give that one up. Also, on the notion of booing Manny, it was put like this: "How can people cheer a guy who they know doesn't want to be there? Hi, we love you anyway? I don't get that." So there are some mixed reactions to my defense of Manny.

Regardless, tonight when he was scratched from the line-up put everyone on edge. It was horrible to think of Manny not in the game, but without any formal announcement. It was totally depressing. And that was just it: nobody liked the idea of the Red Sox without him. Sure, they won, but it felt like a huge part of the team was missing. When the guy came out to the dugout in the ninth, and when he came out onto the field (bear hugged Millar, for godsake), it was like everyone was home. The place even chanted "Manny!" for the guy. I think everyone got it: this team's not gonna be the same if he's not here.

Anyway. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed.