Tuesday, December 28, 2004

So much for that idea

It's really my brother's fault. If you want to know the truth, it's really my brother's fault that I haven't had an entry since December 9th. I had this absolutely great idea for him, which I'm still even hesitant to reveal because what if he gets his act together and comes through for me?

Wishful thinking.

Forget it, I'm going to bust him.

Here was my genius idea:

You know how when David Letterman had to have heart surgery, he had some celebrities take over hosting his show for a few weeks? Well, that was going to be my plan, only cut out the whole bit about having heart surgery, having celebrities hosting, and being David Letterman, and you basically have my plan. See, with finals coming up and about a million things to do, I figured I'd have a few guest writers. And I decided to start with my brother, who tells this great story about his fifth grade teacher. I'd introduce his contribution and then offer that anyone else who had a rant or story could share it. Great procrastination strategy for everyone. Plus, it would save me some work and, let's face it, coming up with ideas for these things isn't that easy. I have a whole list of reasons why it's hard to write in one of these things religiously if you're not recording your every action every day. Or if you're not writing down your philosophy on life. If you cut those two things out, finding random things to observe, describe, or complain about - that gets tough after a while. So, honestly, I was looking forward to a (well-deserved?) break.

Alas.

The only good thing to come out of this is that when I mention the thing to my brother, he gets all freaked out that I'm going to yell at him and he runs away. Guilt is phenomenal. I can't tell if he really feels bad or if he just wants to avoid hearing me yell at him. The truth is, I wouldn't even really yell at him even. I'd probably just be like, "You really blew it," and leave it at that. I might glare at him though for effect, I can't promise I wouldn't. It wouldn't be horrible though, and that's my point. Hold on a second. I'll go ask him why he just won't talk to me about it.

So I just went upstairs to ask him about this whole mess. The first thing my sister tells me on my way up is that my brother isn't talking to me. This is interesting. How does it happen that the person who does something wrong then gets the position of being the injured party? I'll have to ask him about that later. It's a great strategy. He's a pretty good master of it.

Anyhow, I yell out to him and he literally crawls to his door to look out at me. He stays on the floor while I ask him about what happened. I mess up though, and I ask him why he never wrote the thing rather than why he runs away. I quickly regroup and ask the correct question. I think I was thrown off because my sister was questioning the validity of this blog in general and asking whether anyone even reads it. Thanks for the vote of confidence there. Jesus. Never look to your family for any real support.

So I continue with my brother, who tells me that it's a mix of guilt and fear when he runs away. My guess is that he doesn't want to be asked again to contribute, because he's not going to write it. He says it's too hard to put anything into words, so he didn't write what I had asked him to. The end.

So that's what happened to this blog. It became too hard to put anything into words. I'd like to write that my brother was lazy and so look what happened, but the truth is, I understand what he was saying.